Thursday, December 2, 2010

Potty Training 101

I recently started potty training my 3-year-old son, Brock.  I looked online and researched several different potty training methods but finally decided on a method used by a mom who had recently, and successfully, potty trained her son.  She sent me the guide and I read up.  I set forth with an artillery of weapons: big boy undies (and lots of them), a small potty seat as well as a potty seat for the big boy potty, pull ups for naps & night time, and most importantly, rewards!  Days 1 and 2 were a whirlwind of peeing on the potty, changing underwear what seemed like a million times, lots of praise and by the end of the 2 days...a very depleted stash of M&Ms.  Days 3 through 7 brought LOTS of frustration as my son acted like he had no clue what the potty was for and was peeing everywhere BUT the potty.  By the end of Day 7, I was all but ready to completely give up.  We took Day 8 off...a time for me to renew and Brock too.  We started back with a vengeance on Day 8 and now, here were are on Day 9 and we've only had TWO accidents in two days.  I can't believe the progress Brock has made!  Several friends just told me to stick with it and that he would get it...it seems he's really starting to get it now.  I'm sure we will have many more ups and downs.  As a first time parent, and a virgin to potty training, I have found this experience to be both rewarding and also very frustrating.  Knowing my son is intelligent, it has been hard for me to cope with those times when he acted like he didn't know what a potty was used for.  But, I realize that him being intelligent has nothing to do with just needing practice.  This potty training process is definitely exhausting but I know it will pay off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment